Astute industry watchers have noticed we are hosting both LivePitches and Speed Pitches and at AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch, Friday, May 9 at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center. Yes, this year we are hosting two separate pitch categories: LivePitch and Speed Pitch. What is the difference, you ask? Good question. The companies We’ve outlined the differences below.
To start, LivePitch and Speed Pitch eligibility requirements are the same:
- Companies will be focused on consumer-oriented health technologies for the “50 and over” market
- Companies will have launched their product/service within 18 months of the May 9, 2014 event date
- Companies will not have raised more than $5 million in funding
All 10 LivePitch finalists and all five Speed Pitch finalists were drawn from the same 193 applicants.
Now the differences:
LivePitch companies’ pitch includes
There are 10 LivePitch finalists
– The company pitches judges, investors in the audience and AARP consumers in the audience – 4 minutes
– The company engages in a question and answer session with the judges – 7 minutes
– The consumer votes and rates the company using their handheld voting device – 4 minutes
Speed Pitch companies’ pitch includes
There are five Speed Pitch finalists
Speed Pitch is just that, it is designed for entrepreneurs to quickly get on stage and pitch judges, investors and consumers. Each company pitch includes:
– The company pitches judges, investors in the audience and AARP consumers in the audience – 1 minute
– The company engages in a question and answer session with the judges – 3 minutes
Three winners will be named.
- Judges’ LivePitch Winner
Leading investors and health technology experts will pick an overall winner.
- AARP Consumers’ LivePitch Winner
AARP members will vote for the overall consumer fan favorite.
- Speed Pitch Winner
Leading investors & health technology experts, as well as AARP members will choose the overall Speed Pitch Winner.
Both the LivePitch Judges’ and Consumers’ Winners will receive the following prize package:
1. Trophy – AARP Innovation Award
2. Apple Mini iPad
3. Registration & Exhibit space for Life@50 San Diego 2014
4. AARP Media coverage
5. Meeting with AARP Management
6. Five hours of AARP Innovation team mentorship
These winning companies will most importantly receive bragging rights. Having won either the LivePitch or Speed Pitch competitions at AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch 2014, winners show that they are leading the way in innovative, cutting-edge healthcare technology.
Speed Pitch winner will receive:
1. Trophy – AARP Popular Speed Pitch Award
2. One-on-one mentoring meeting with Unity Stoakes, co-founder & President, StartupHealth
3. Mentorship with the AARP Innovation team
See you in Boston on May 9th. And don’t forget to register.