Is there a fee to apply to AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch?
There is no fee to apply.
When is the application deadline?
Application Deadline: Friday, February 14, 2014
What are the eligibility requirements for companies applying?
This year we are hosting two separate pitch categories: LivePitch and Speed Pitch
LivePitch Eligibility Requirements
- Companies will be focused on consumer-oriented health technologies for the “50 and over” market
- Companies will have launched their product/service within 18 months of the May 9, 2014 event date
- Companies will not have raised more than $5 million in funding
How many finalists will be named?
Ten LivePitch finalists: will be selected and invited to pitch on stage in Boston.
Additionally, five Speed Pitch finalists will be selected to pitch on stage in Boston.
How will the on-stage pitch process work?
LivePitch finalists will each have 4 minutes to pitch, followed by 7 minutes Q&A w/Judges, followed by AARP consumer audience voting. The consumers will vote on which features they liked or disliked about the presenting company.
Speed Pitch finalists will each have 1 minute to pitch followed by 3 minutes Q&A w/Judges.
Key Judging Criteria
The Judges will focus on these four critical elements:
- Functionality – Is the company’s product easy to use, and does it get the job done?
- Potential – What is the company’s business model and likely profitability, size of the market, likelihood of adoption, and growth potential?
- Team / People – What experience does the team have, and can they make the product or service a success?
- Creativity/Differentiation – Why would someone use this product and/or service over alternatives?
The AARP Consumer voting will focus on these four critical elements:
- Need –Why should consumers want this product? Does the product/service address a significant unmet or under-met need? Is it unique?
- Marketing – How easy is it to get the product?
- Usage – Why is the product easy to use?
- Value – Why does the value and cost of the product makes it a “must have”? What is the value proposition? Would someone use it and/or refer it to family and friends?
What categories are there to apply to for the event?
- Medication Management
- Aging with Vitality, e.g. increase daytime energy, maintain muscle strength, manage arthritis, improve or aid in memory/cognition , brain fitness improve/aid hearing, improve/aid vision
- Vital Sign Monitoring
- Care Navigation
- Emergency Detection & Response
- Physical Fitness
- Social Engagement
- Diet & Nutrition
- Behavioral & Emotional Health
- Aging in Place
Can I talk about fundraising in my presentation?
Participating companies should not mention anything about their fundraising activities and plans in their presentations and presentation materials. Please reserve all conversations about fundraising to private one-on-one meetings with known accredited investors. AARP and CSquared strongly encourages you to become familiar with the new rules under the JOBS Act and to consult experienced legal counsel about applicable securities regulations. By participating in the AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch event, you agree that AARP and CSquared does not give investment legal advice and that you are responsible for ensuring your compliance with applicable securities laws.
Will I receive a registration to the Innovation@50+ LivePitch if I am selected?
Yes, participating companies will receive two (2) complimentary registrations for the Innovation@50+ LivePitch. These complimentary registrations must be assigned to specific individuals presenting at the conference.
Additionally, each LivePitch finalist will be awarded the opportunity to exhibit their product/service within the AARP Health Innovation@50+ Tech Expo over the course of three days. AARP Thought Leadership sponsors the exhibit pod space, basic connectivity and furnishing, company signage, marketing programs and promotion. Companies are responsible for their travel and housing.
What if I am not selected as an Innovation@50+ LivePitch finalist but would still like to attend the show?
If your Innovation@50+ LivePitch submission is NOT accepted, you will receive a special discount code allowing you to register to attend Innovation@50+ LivePitch at 50% off the published rate.
How are the companies screened?
A committee of experts in health innovation and technology will screen each application to make sure that they meet all requirements and review each entry to decide which products or services are the most innovative.
How many winners will there be?
Three winners will be named.
- Judges’ Winner
Leading investors and health technology experts will pick an overall winner.
- AARP Consumers’ Winner
AARP members will vote for the overall consumer fan favorite.
- Speed Pitch Winner
Leading investors & health technology experts, as well as AARP members will choose the overall Speed Pitch Winner.
What will the winners receive?
Winning LivePitch companies will receive prize packages containing valuable tech-related products along with interview opportunities with the attending consumer, technology and venture media, providing them a spotlight as leaders in the future of healthcare innovation.
Both the LivePitch Judges’ and Consumers’ Winners will receive the following prize package:
1. Trophy – AARP Innovation Award
2. Apple Mini iPad
3. Registration & Exhibit space for Life@50 San Diego 2014
4. AARP Media coverage
5. Meeting with AARP Management
6. Five hours of AARP Innovation team mentorship
7. Two hours of 1-on1 Venture Design mentoring services by Frog, a Global Product Strategy & Design firm, at one of the studios (or virtually).
8. Executive working session with InnovationLTC to assist in the company’s industry validation, consumer research, & distribution plan
These winning companies will most importantly receive bragging rights. Having won either the LivePitch or Speed Pitch competitions at AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch 2014, winners show that they are leading the way in innovative, cutting-edge healthcare technology.
Speed Pitch winner will receive:
1. Trophy – AARP Popular Speed Pitch Award
2. One-on-one mentoring meeting with Unity Stoakes, co-founder & President, StartupHealth
3. Mentorship with the AARP Innovation team
4. Two hours of 1-on1 Venture Design mentoring services by Frog, a Global Product Strategy & Design firm, at one of the studios (or virtually).
5. Executive working session with InnovationLTC to assist in the company’s industry validation, consumer research, & distribution plan
How will I know if I have been selected to participate?
All applicants will receive an email notification from Innovation@50+ LivePitch if selected to participate. Companies will receive this notification in March.
How many products / services can I submit to the event?
Each company will be allowed to submit only one product / service at this year’s event. Companies who submit more than one product / services will not be eligible to participate in the event.
Who are the Judges?
Shirley Bergin, Partner, COO/CMO, TEDMED
Graham Brooks, Principal, .406 Ventures
Lynne Chou, Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
Peter Grua, Partner, HLM Venture Partners
Krishna Yeshwant, General Partner, Google Ventures
Who is on The Advisory Board?
Board members are listed below. Please visit the Advisors Page to review their bios.
Scott Bailey, Senior Director of Partnerships, MassChallenge
Marty Bauer, Managing Director, The Iron Yard
Shirley Bergin, Partner, COO/CMO, TEDMED
Brian Dolan, Co-Founder & Editor, MobiHealthNews
Kristin Eilenberg, Co-Founder and CEO, Infuse Accelerator
Vincent Fabiani, Administrative Partner, HLM Venture Partners
Mary Furlong, CEO and Founder, Mary Furlong and Associates
Jill Gilbert, Producer, Digital Health & Silvers Summit, Robotics on the Runway
Alicia Heazlitt, Director, InnovateLTC
John Hotta, Private Investor, Nayma Fund
Margaret Laws, Director, Innovations for the Underserved, California HealthCare Foundation
Bert Navarrete, CEO and Managing Partner, Tigerlabs Ventures
Jenna Rose, Director, Healthbox
Chris Seper, CEO, MedCity Media
Paul Slavin, Chief Operating Officer, Everyday Health
Unity Stoakes, Co-founder and President, StartUp Health
Dr. Hubert Zajicek, MD, Co-founder & Executive Director, Health Wildcatters
Who Are The Coaches?
Brian Lang, CEO, Seniors In Touch | Chapter Head, Health 2.0 Houston
Sivaram Arabandi, MD, Founder, Ontopro
Dorit Donoviel, Ph.D., Deputy Chief Scientist and Industry Forum Lead, The National Space Biomedical Research Institute (NSBRI), Assistant Professor, Center for Space Medicine and Dept. of Pharmacology, Baylor College of Medicine
Kim Evans, Chairman & CEO, Emerald Economy, Chairman, TechStreet Houston
Andrea Ippolitoo, Smart Scheduling, MIT’s Hacking Medicine
Elizabeth Kwo, President, New Pathway Education and Technology Group
Scott Packard, Consultant, Mentor, MIT’s Hacking Medicine
Dominique Pahud, Director in Research and Policy, Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
Jeffery Sheldon, General Partner & Managing Director / Founder, CitareTx Investment Partners
Details on the Coaches can be found on the Coaches Page.
Still have additional questions?
Please contact Chris Valentine at valentine @ adeointeractive.com
Where can I access the online application for AARP LivePitch event?
To access the online application for AARP LivePitch event, please click the button below.